Search This Blog

Monday 11 May 2015

GROWING HERBS IN POTS

If you have no room for anything else on your window ledge, your patio, your small garden, grow herbs.  I grow all mine in pots.  Although rosemary can grow into a largish shrub, I grow mine in a relatively small pot, about an 8" pot, which restricts its growth.  I don't want it as a shrub, or as a feature in my garden, or for flowers; I just want it for cooking purposes.  I have grown the same one for several years and this year it has become rather woody and needs replacing, so I have bought a new one: Rosemarinus officinalis Fota Blue.  However, every year the old rosemary has given me fresh rosemary for my kitchen and it's not dead yet!  I've also taken cuttings from it for when it gives up the ghost.  The chives grow in a large pot (I love their flowers), as does the Italian flat-leafed parsley (I love parsley flowers too), the lemon balm (this herb is great for a herb tea and gets quite big, spreading out), the lemon verbena (powerfully lemon and great in a herb tea), and the thyme (another one great for cooking with. 

Parsley and chives

I grow them all in a potting compost but I make sure that the pots drain well (just put some gravel or crocks in the bottom of the pot). 

Lemon balm

Lemon verbena

Lemon balm (left), and rosemary