Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 April 2015

ROSEMARINUS OFFICINALIS 'FOTA BLUE'

I have a rosemary growing in a pot and usually, at this time of year, it is lush and green and fabulous.  This year, half of it is dead while the other is doing its best not to end up discarded.  I've taken cuttings from it, which seem to be doing ok, but while mooching yesterday at the garden centre, I saw a different kind of rosemary to the one I have at present.  This one has darker leaves which are shiny.  The fragrance from a crushed leaf is strong, and I think this will do very nicely when I pinch a bit off it to go with lamb or chicken. 






Rosemarinus officinalis 'Fota Blue' - (Rosemary)

The label says it has "delightful deep blue flowers in April to May (often again in autumn) over a good prostrate habit."  It is a quite hardy evergreen perennial which grows to 50cm (20in).  It likes a sunny and sheltered position in containers or well-drained soil and is ideal for trailing over a low wall or bank. 

Mine will be grown in a pot on a patio facing south. 



My other rosemary never flowered but that is probably because I continually take cuttings from it for cooking.  I don't grow herbs for their flowers, just for use in cooking.  I doubt this will get chance to flower either.  Too bad.