Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 May 2020

MAGPIES ATTACK SQUIRREL



I was watering my garden this evening after so much dry weather had begun to impact on my garden borders when I spotted some kerfuffle up in the neighbour's ash trees. A magpie was attacking a small squirrel and as fast as the squirrel tried to get away, the magpie followed. I have seen this kind of behaviour before from magpies and, I have to say, I don't like it. While I tend to say that I like all animals, I am not fond of those black and white birds at all. I have even seen them attacking neighbourhood cats. If one attacks my cat, Alfie, it could be magpie stew for supper.






Magpie trying to steal from squirrel November 2019

Magpies attack squirrels and other birds. They are omnivores and will kill and eat small mammals and birds.


Unfortunately for the magpie, and fortunately for the squirrel, I had my garden hose in my hand with the water full on. I shot a blast up into the trees, targeting the bird and preventing it from continuing its chase of the squirrel. Then, when the magpie took to the sky, heading in my direction, I shot another blast at it which it didn't care for.




Alfie, the resident Ragdoll cat.