Search This Blog

Sunday 10 May 2020

SEEDS FROM PACKETS OR FROM FRUIT & VEG

Seed suppliers are always reminding us that it is best to use their seeds because of the possibility of seed taken directly from shop bought vegetables and fruit having diseases etc etc etc. Hmm.  I bought several packets from a well known supplier and they aren't doing any better than the ones I took from supermarket fruit and veg. Talking about price now, how come seed supplier can justify the prices they charge when you consider just how much seed a single vegetable or fruit can provide?

Seeds from one small Cantaloupe melon

Hundred or more cantaloupe melon seed, above image, from one small melon and yet seed companies charge c. £2 for a packet with about 10 seeds. Robbery!

Seeds from one small red sweet pepper

One company is selling packets of sweet pepper seeds at nearly £4 for 40 seeds. The pepper I bought with my groceries cost about £0.50p

Butternut squash seedlings, taken directly from a butternut squash.They look healthy enough to me. Cost of the vegetable? About £1.  Cost of a packet of seeds? About £3 for 10 seeds. The vegetable had dozens of seeds.

Butternut squash seedlings, seeds taken from a butternut squash, not packet.

Below, Arlinta tomato seedlings taken from one single tomato from the supermarket. I have thinned them out to just a few seedlings and they seem healthy and are doing well.  The tomato cost about £0.10p and produced about 50 seeds. A packet of tomato seeds can cost £2 or more for fewer seeds. I have a feeling these tomato plants will grow very big, too big, but I'll see. I did try to grow Tumbling Toms and bought a packet of seeds but I accidentally killed them off. Oops.