Search This Blog

Thursday 21 November 2019

SQUIRRELS AND MAGPIES LIKE FAT BALLS

It's not just the birds in my garden which like my homemade fat balls, the squirrels like them too.  As I couldn't find the fat ball holder (I only put them out in very cold weather) the other day, I placed three on top of a pot and noticed this morning that they had all gone. Shortly afterwards, I saw a small squirrel on top of the fence eating one. The squirrel was immediately joined by a magpie. Now, I expected the magpie to attack the fat ball and/or the squirrel but, no, the squirrel was having none of it. I think if there had been two magpies, it might have been a different story; they don't seem to voracious on their own.






Squirrel eating fat ball put out for birds






Squirrel eating fat ball for birds - Magpie thinks it's good to share









Squirrel moving fat ball so it can eat in peace











Squirrel - alone at last with fat ball





I wish I could have got it all on video but you know how it is, they would have gone before I got the chance.