Search This Blog

Saturday 18 May 2019

POTENTILLA MEGALANTHA

Everything's coming up flowery this year.  I don't recall my garden ever looking like it does right now, at this time of year.  Maybe it's because the plants are getting more mature, bigger, or maybe it's just due to the weather, to the relative mildness of this spring and that spell of peculiar summer weather we enjoyed in February here in the UK. I know there is climate change and all that, but when you live in a country where the weather can be so miserable, it's nice to have a break now and then.  One of the perennials that is putting on a show right now is Potentilla megalantha.  It's like a fancy buttercup and it's really cheerful. Sorry, the photo doesn't do it justice.




Potentilla megalantha

I grow Potentilla megalantha it in a rather neglected sunny border at the front of my home.  Plants there just have to get on with it and that was always the idea, that I don't have much to do there and can concentrate on my back garden, where I spend much of my time (doing nothing much).




About Potentilla megalantha (syn. Potentilla fragariiformis) the label says the flowers are solitary, bright yellow, large, above tufts of soft, silvery foliage.  It likes full sun and is suitable for rockeries, border edges, gravel gardens, and containers, in well drained soil.  It flowers from spring to mid summer.  It achieves a height of 20cm (8in) and spread of 30cm (12in).