Search This Blog

Sunday 19 May 2019

DICENTRA FORMOSA IS PERFECT IN THE BORDER

I first planted my one and only Dicentra formosa several years ago and each year it has spread a little and become more and more beautiful.  Most people, perhaps, when they think of Dicentra, think of spectabilis, the 'bleeding heart' but, for me, formosa is the winner.  Not only is it extremely reliable (at least in my garden) but it is floriferous and the bright green leaves are delightful even when the flowers have gone. It's a tidier plant than spectabilis.




Dicentra formosa - May 2019

Dicentra formosa is a neater plant than spectabilis.  Mine, which you see above, grows in front of my north-facing fence where it gets filtered light through the fence and also sun more directly when the sun swings to the south.  I actually tried to grow spectabilis, both the pink and the white (alba) and both failed miserably. 










Dicentra formosa - 2015






Dicentra formosa - 2015






Dicentra formosa - 2015