Search This Blog

Saturday 18 May 2019

AQUILEGIA CAERULEA - PURPLE AND WHITE

I always think of my garden as a predominantly summer garden, but right now the amount of flowers on display is staggering.  When did that happen?  There's so much happening at the moment that, where to start?  Ok, let me begin with an Aquilegia caerulea.  They caught my neighbour's attention the other day, so I thought it worthy of a mention here.




Aquilegia caerulea May 2019

They are growing amid lots of other plants at the front of a north-facing border which also gets plenty of afternoon sun as well as filtered morning sun through the slatted fence which allows passage of light and air.  It gets the best of both worlds.




What rarely seems to get a mention is what pretty foliage aquilegias have.   They remind me of four-leaf clovers.




Aquilegia caerulea May 2017