Search This Blog

Thursday 17 January 2019

MILD START TO 2019 IN WEST YORKSHIRE

This is my first post of 2019 so Happy New Year to all who are reading around now.  I've had little to report recently.  One thing that I would like to tell you is that a cheeky squirrel has bitten off the twine ties supporting my dwarf apple tree and taken it away, no doubt to line its nest.  I know it to be true as I saw it do it!   Cheeky little beggar.  Somewhere, up in the branches of a tree or in a cavity in a tree, there is bright turquoise twine!   But I don't resent it.  I welcome wildlife into my garden and if I can help them survive, well that's good.  Anyway, the tree doesn't need support except when heavily laden with blossom or fruit and by the time it does, the squirrels won't need my twine. 




Grey squirrel in winter

I feed the birds and squirrels all year around, and I make my own fat balls.  I came across a couple of Gardeners World (no, not my Gardener's Word blog) which I thought you might like as they are very informative.




Feeding Birds nutritiously (Gardener's World external link)

Making fat balls for birds (Gardener's World external link)




It's past mid January 2019 already and the weather, so far, has been relatively mild.  We've had a lot of rain, drizzle and drizzle and drizzle, gusting and howling wind, lots of grey cloud, and infrequent bursts of sunshine - over all it has been moderately miserable.  Last night, here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, some of us got a taste of what is probably to come - zero temperatures and snow.  The snow was very slight but it will get worse.  I am being realistic here, not pessamistic.  Where I live the snow can stick around for ages.  I mean, this morning was white outside my home but a short drive along the road, about 3 miles to a friend's house, and the evidence of frost and snow was much lighter.  As I neared home on my return, someone was driving along with a car covered with snow and their windscreen wipers on, shifting snow.  Living where I live is like living where the TV Munsters live.  I swear it rains on my house when everywhere else is sunny. 




Would you believe that the bacopa plants in the hanging baskets are still mostly green with the occasional white flower?  It's true.  I thought they would die off before December but they are still hanging in there, literally.  I think if we get seriously subzero temperatures and heavy snow then that will kill them off.  Even so, I wonder if they will continue right through this summer and save me a fortune in not having to replace them.  Who knows?  Watch this space. 







Bacopa - September 2018