Search This Blog

Sunday 16 December 2018

SANTA and A TOUCH OF FROST

Yesterday, Saturday 15 December 2018, was perishing.  It was sub-zero out there, and a weather warning of freezing rain was announced as being treacherous (I thought freezing rain was hail or snow!  Aparently not.) and there was even some snow on the ground when I looked outside, early evening.  Today, this morning, got up, blinds up, and there it was - glorious sunshine, blue sky, only a slight nip in the air.  I thought for a minute I had slept long and woken up in spring.  I decided to take advantage of the lovely day and so I went over to a nearby mall for a coffee and a mooch around.  Santa was there, with his little helpers.  Actually, they were collecting for the lonely elderly at Christmas, for a special dinner for them, so I slipped a little something into Santa's stocking!




Santa and his charitable helpers.

Had to smile at the reindeer with a goat-skin rug on its back!   Santa obliged me with a cheery wave.  Although it was cold, and a couple of the helpers looked perished, St Nick was looking mighty cool in his shades. 





While there, I spotted a pigeon sipping water from a pool in the pavement.  I took a photo.  One of Santa's helpers found that amusing.  I explained that I wanted to share the photo and encourage people not to forget to give birds, wildlife, water as well as food, as they need extra help during freezing weather or drought.  He, like many people, thought they would get enough water from seed etc.  They don't.





Do not feed desiccated coconut, porridge, and uncooked rice to birds.  The coconut and rice can swell in their stomachs and kill them.  Porridge can solidify around a bird's beak, like concrete.   Cooked rice, however, is ok, as is raw oats according to the RSPB.   Please check the RSPB link for sound advice on feeding wild birds.





Home made fat balls for birds.








Pigeon having a drink of water

Please, feed the wildlife, especially in winter.