Search This Blog

Thursday 31 January 2019

SNOW, ICE, AND SQUIRRELS


It's a busy time in my garden.  Oh, not for me, I'm a winter gardener and I sort of hibernate along with many plants and animals during cold weather.  But the local wild birds are active and the squirrels, coming into my garden daily, regularly, emptying the feeders.  I feed them as fast as the containers empty.  I love this first photo here, of a little fat grey squirrel.  I cannot decide if it's pregnant or just getting obese on sunflower seeds.  I don't know why people don't like them; I think they're cute but then I like rodents and most animal life on our blue planet.









Pregnant or just fat cute grey squirrel!  January 2019





Over the last few days we have had icy conditions and a light amount of snow here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire.  Interestingly, the south of England and farther north seem to be getting the brunt of it, which is a nice change for us.  That's not to say that we won't be in for it some time soon. Of course, it is a lot worse in Canada, and Chicago in the USA right now.  In Chicago they have about -27C today, whereas, here, it is only about -3C.  







I tried to take some decent macro photographs of the sugar-like frosting of ice that is covering my garden right now but wasn't too successful.  However, you can see the effect on my garden in this twiggy photo, and of the evergreen fern, below.




Icy frosting on Syringa Red Pixie, a dwarf lilac - 31 January 2019






This squirrel below, photo taken earlier this month, seems to be dining on my dormant raspberry canes.  I know that there were some raspberries left on them, over ripe and gone a bit mushy, so I wonder if the squirrel is eating those. 




Squirrel nibbling on dormant raspberry cane - January 2019




Ice frost on evergreen fern - 31 January 2019