Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 December 2018

WINTER TIME - BUY OR MAKE FAT BALLS FOR BIRDS

I think I must create a similar post every winter, encouraging people to feed wild birds to get them through the worst of it. For me, the birds are worth every penny because they are great entertainment.  Of course, word has got around and now they consider me the 24/7 restaurant. 




Fat balls for the birds





Even though temperatures are not terribly low right now, and no snow has yet arrived, it won't be long.  Every year I make homemade fat balls for the birds for two reasons: firstly because I know that the ones I make are not bulked up with rubbish stuff that looks like sawdust and which doesn't do the birds much good, and secondly because it is cheaper than buying the top quality fat balls.  And anyway, I like to see them eat what I have made.  They do fight over them though!  So I make plenty and I freeze them.  Never put out fat balls in summer or during warm weather when the fat can go rancid.