Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 December 2018

HEBE, BACOPA, and PENSTEMONS - FLOWERING IN DECEMBER

There is so much worry over climate change and global warming but, on the bright side, my garden still has a lot more flowers than I expect at this time of year.  I noticed today that the little Hebe 'Purple Pixie' is sporting a lovely topping of purple flowers when, I think, really, it should be going to sleep. I don't prune it before winter as the top growth protects the roots from suffering too much in sub zero temperatures; I prune it in early spring.  It's in quite a sheltered position, protected from the savage winds we get here on the Pennine Mountains of West Yorkshire (even when the Met Office predicts that there will be a moderate breeze).  Not only that, but some of the penstemons are still flowering too. Again, same story, I don't prune them until early spring.   Oh, and there are plenty of flowers still on the bacopa hanging baskets. I thought they were supposed to be tender, and we have had some pretty chilly nights.  And I must mention that there are a few raspberries on the Polka raspberry canes







Hebe Purple Pixie (aka Hebe Mohawk) - July 2017

It's interesting keeping a kind of diary/blog on my garden.  When I look through the blog archive, I can see when I have recorded snow or icy conditions.  One December the penstemons were in flower and covered in snow and when the snow went, the flowers were undamaged! 




Still, I'm well aware that we could still have a seriously harsh winter so I have brought my Jade plant (crassula ovata) from the unheated garden room and into my kitchen for protection. It's like Kew Gardens in there now, what with the houseplants and the zonal pelargoniums which I grow and propagate. 




Penstemons - June 2017











Bacopa hanging basket - Sept 2018