Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 July 2018

PARTIAL YELLOWING OF FERN FRONDS - DRYOPTERIS ATRATA

Well, I got a surprise today when I got home from mooching around the RHS garden centre at Harlow Carr.  I took my purchases of a new fern, Blechnum spicant, and some Osteospermums, into my garden and noticed that The Buckler Fern (Dryopteris atrata) had fronds that had partially turned yellow.  How odd. I can only think it is down to sunshine as we have been having very unEnglish summer weather and keeping my shade plants in the shade has been a difficult task.  Lately I have been putting out the awning to give them shade but it's been impossible to shade them all the time.  I also understand that such yellowing can be down to stress: too much water or insufficient water.  We have been in a kind of a drought these past through weeks, very little rain, and so I have been watering my moisture-loving plants to stop them from dying.  So it could be dryness, overwatering, sun scorching, maybe chlorine from tap water, wind, whatever...   Do you ever think, in gardening, that you just can't win?  Even so, they look rather beautiful, for now. 




The Buckler Fern (Dryopteris atrata) - yellowing fronds







The Buckler Fern (Dryopteris atrata) - yellowing fronds




The Buckler Fern (Dryopteris atrata) - yellowing fronds