Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 July 2018

EVERGREEN FERN - BLECHNUM SPICANT

A friend said the other day that I had an obsession with ferns.  Actually, she was less direct than that.  What she said was that she had another friend who was also obsessed with ferns.  I only have twelve, now that I have just bought three more this last week or so, but I think I know what she means.  I just think ferns are terrific plants and I would be happy having a whole garden of them with tree ferns jutting out here and there, a jungle of them with all the humidity and atmosphere that I know they bring.  At least I would if it were not so sunny in my garden, when the sun shines.  There isn't a single area in my garden, except in the narrow space behind the garden room and shed, which does not get direct sunlight for at least some part of the day.  Anyway, today's addition to my fern family is Blechnum spicant - also known as deer fern or hard fern, which I think are unattractive names for such a pretty fern. 




Blechnum spicant






Somewhere along the line I lost Polypodium vulgare, and it was such a pretty plant, very much like Blechnum spicant in appearance, I thought.  I also lost the dwarf tree fern Blechnum gibbon 'Silver Lady' and I was quite upset about that.  :(   I strongly believe that plants will survive or they will not, no matter what you do.  Sometimes you can buy two plants of the same type that look exactly the same, just as healthy, and plant them in the same area, in the same soil, and treat them just the same, and one will die and the other will thrive.  Sometimes there is neither rhyme nor reason in it. 





Regarding Blechnum spicant, the label says that it is perfect for all year round interest in shady areas of the garden.  It is a pretty evergreen fern with good, tidy clumps of comb-like fronds.  It originates from Great Britain.  It is suitable for old tree stumps and containers, and achieves a height and spread of 18 x 18in (45cm x 45cm). 




See Light and Shade Terms in Gardening








Blechnum spicant has received the Royal Horticultural Society 'Award of Garden Merit' as it has proved to be reliable in appropriate conditions and a good performing plant. 



"Care: Add well rotted leaf mould with 25% sharp sand to top 30-45cm of soil.  Remove old fronds in spring after last frosts to allow new growth to uncurl.  Allow plant to mature and harden before winter.  Protect plants during severe weather by mulching the crown, or by covering.  In hot dry conditions a fine spray of water will refresh and humidify the plant." 





Well, I shall be treating it just the same as I do all my ferns by sticking them into the soil in the shadiest area I can find which is also moist.  I always leave dead leaves on my plants during winter because they serve as a protective layer during the harshest weather.