Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 July 2018

BUTTERFLY - SMALL TORTOISESHELL (AGLAIS URTICAE)

I wish I'd had the macro lens on my Canon EOS 6D today, but I didn't, so I did the best I could with my iPhone 5s when a pretty butterfly came and landed on one of my buddleias, Buddleia davidii 'Nanho Blue'. I had thought at first that the butterfly was a Red Admiral (Vanessa Atalanta) but on checking, I discovered it was a Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais Urticae).  




Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais Urticae).  

Even though my buddleia (buddleias attract butterflies and are commonly known as the Butterfly Bush) has plenty of flowers on it, butterflies seem scarce in my garden nowadays.  That's sad.  In fact, I don't recall seeing as many Bumblebees as I have seen in the past, or hoverflies




Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais Urticae).  






Small Tortoiseshell (Aglais Urticae).  

I see plenty of white butterflies in my garden but I haven't seen the Speckled Wood butterfly for years unless they arrive when I am not looking.




Speckled Wood butterfly