Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 June 2018

MAGPIES ATTACK BIRDS, SQUIRRELS, AND EVEN CATS!

It was only very recently that I read that magpies are considered by many to be pests and that they will kill other birds. I've never seen them attack other birds in my garden, but a long while ago I saw two magpies attacking a squirrel on my fence.  I thought at the time that it was highly unusual and thought nothing further about it.  The squirrel escaped up the trees and the magpies went on their own not-so-sweet way.  Then this morning, as I watched Alfie, the much loved resident Ragdoll cat, jump up onto the top of my garden fence, I saw a magpie swoop down and land on the fence right behind him.  I was really taken aback because as much as Alfie looks like a softy, he isn't and his claws are razor sharp and never trimmed because he is well behaved in the house.  Anyway, then I saw another magpie come down on the fence on the opposite side to Alfie (obviously up to no good), and so I went up the garden path fully prepared to break the magpie's neck.  Fortunately for the magpies, they flew away. 




Alfie, the resident Ragdoll cat. 

I know.  I know.  I expect some cat haters who love birds will see this as some sort of payback, and I get it.  However, it's a case of love me love my cat and so cause him harm at your peril.




Did you know that the collective noun for magpies is A Mischief of Magpies?  Apparently so.  And it's A Murder of Crows.  Then perhaps the murdering crows would like to sort out the murdering magpies because I've never seen crows which visit my garden bother another bird species.  Or cat. 




Alfie, being a Ragdoll, is one of the largest domestic cats and although he is not the heavyweight that male Ragdolls can turn into (they are still generally smaller than Maine Coons), he is much larger than the average cat. He's generally a gentle soul and I have never once seen him attack or hurt one of the dozens of bird visitors which come to my garden every day and many treat him with scorn but, who knows, he might be having magpie for dinner one day.  I'm sure the squirrels and the small birds will be happy about that.  By the way, my neighbour once did mention that she saw numerous magpies chasing a cat down the street, pulling at its fur.  I thought she was kidding!




Magpie on a fence