Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 June 2018

ASH TREE (FRAXINUS EXCELSIOR) INVASION

I bet that many people who come across this webpage are seeking information about the deaths of thousands of ash trees caused by a fungus called Hymenoscyphus fraxineus or, as it was previously called, Chalara fraxinea. Well, no, this is about the invasiveness of ash trees planted less than 3ft (90 cm) over the other side of my garden fence and which drop literally thousands of seeds almost every year.  And they say buddleia is invasive!  So, I would be very happy if those ash trees would succumb to a fatal dose of fungal disease, or the Emerald Ash Borer beetle, and drop dead (preferably not on top of my garden room).  See below images of the mound of seeds I swept up yesterday from just a small patch of patio, and the size of a very young seedling, and the cascades of seeds still suspended from trees which overhang my garden by about 10ft (300cm) or more. 




Very young seedling of the ash tree (fraxinus excelsior)

Look at the length of the roots on that very young ash tree seedling which I have just pulled out from the edge of my garden border.  Hundreds more will be rooting in my garden but I promise you, none will survive.  Note the length and vigour of the root already.  When a seedling gets much bigger and starts turning into a sapling, then pulling one up is similar to trying to pull up a bindweed plant intact.  Anyone who knows about bindweed (Convulvus arvensis) and their wiry roots, will know exactly what I mean. 




Below is just an indication of the seeds on only part of one tree bordering my garden. 







Ash tree (Fraxinus excelsior) with a heavy load of seeds

Below is the mound of seedlings which I swept up from a patio about 8ft x 7ft (240cm x 210cm). 




Ash tree (Fraxinus excelsior) seedlings

So when I say the trees, about seven of them, are dropping invasive seeds onto my garden by the thousands, you will know I am not exaggerating, not using hyperbole.  Is there a moral in this story?  Yes, think twice before planting an ash tree in your garden.  Spare your neighbours and spare yourself if you like to garden.  By the way, due to the root system on an ash tree, it should not be planted within 21 metres of a property.  My neighbours trees are about 25 feet, or less, away from mine. 




Could I get my neighbour(s) to deal with this problem?  Probably not as it is unclear who actually owns what looks like no-man's-land (but probably isn't) which has been left to brambles, trees, weeds, and a dumping ground of garden waste.  Could I pay for a tree surgeon to come along and sort out the branches which overhang my garden?  I gladly would but I don't know how they would access the trees without trespassing or damaging my garden room or fencing.  This requires deliberation and perhaps a consultation.