Search This Blog

Friday 8 June 2018

GROWING LARGE-FLOWERING CLEMATIS - GROUP 2

A year last January, when I had the garden fencing replaced with concrete gravel boards and replaceable slatted wooden panels, I thought that the clematis climbers would have been just about killed off but, no, this year must be the best year ever for those on my fence.  I wonder.  I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I have planted large shrubs a little distance away from the south-facing fence and that the clematis happily have their feet in the shade and their heads in the sun.  That's what they are supposed to like and that is what they have this year.  I've lost one or two, I think, but the white Gillian Blades is happily embracing the Syringa Red Pixie and further up the fencing both Doctor Ruppel and Elsa Spath are getting along together quite happily. 




Clematis 'Gillian Blades' embracing Syringa (Lilac) Red Pixie

I've always thought it a good idea, where possible, to let clematis cling on to what they like.  The only trouble is, it is better to let them cling onto something that you don't necessarily need to prune.  Above Gillian Blade is using the lilac Red Pixie, as well as the fencing, as a support.  It's a happy combination as I have no plans to radically prune the dwarf lilac. 




Gillian Blades clematis

Below, Doctor Rupple is very striking and will look lovely in contrast if and when the white lilac, Syringa Madame Lemoine, produces plentiful blooms.  This year there was only one flower. 




Clematis Dr Ruppel

 How to prune Clematis







Clematis Dr Ruppel surrounded by Hebe (mohawk) Purple Pixie

Thalictrum aquilegifolium and lilac Syringa Madame Lemoine







Clematis Elsa Spath




Clematis Elsa Spath