Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2018

ALPINE STRAWBERRIES BURSTING WITH FLAVOUR

I like strawberries but only when they have a good flavour.  I cannot grow them well in my garden, and when I buy them from the supermarkets they rarely taste as good as they look.  Sometimes they hardly taste of anything at all.  I cannot say the same for the lovely little Alpine strawberries that I grow in pots in my garden.  They are easy to grow, and very hardy.  The red fruit is tiny, and round, and when allowed to ripen to a deep red colour, well, the taste just blows me away.  Wow.  It's a slightly perfumed and intensely strawberry flavour.  They are super to eat on their own, like sweets (but better for us) and great on breakfast cereals.  I've been growing just one plant but this year I have planted about five.  I'm getting greedy now.




Alpine strawberries


 (Just mind the slugs don't get them first).  I grow mine in pots raised up from the ground but I bet they grow well in hanging baskets and will look delightful.




Alpine strawberries