Search This Blog

Thursday 3 May 2018

LEMON VERBENA CAN SURVIVE A HARSH WINTER

Lemon Verbena is not the hardiest of plants and it is advised to protect them during winter if you don't live in a mild zone.  This year, I left mine outside (usually I erect a little mini-greenhouse, but not this year as the garden room is taking up much space) but I protected its pot with fleece.  I have grown the plant for several years and it has turned into a woody little shrub.  I thought it was dead. Our winter has been somewhat cruel with plenty of snow and subzero temperatures.  It looked very sorry for itself with wispy bits of twiggy growth sticking out here and there.  I chopped them off.  And waited. Nothing.  I tried to buy a replacement but the garden centres' staff say it is too early yet and so they don't have them in stock.  So I inspected my little dead-looking plant and I realise now that it is alive (I rubbed a bit of a stem and it is green underneath) but not yet kicking.  I hope that before long it will be sprouting green growth with which I can make my herb tea.  It's a lovely herb; do try it.  I don't drink ordinary tea.  I cannot even stand the smell of it.







Lemon verbena - 2017





Another herb I grow is Lemon Balm.  Lemon Balm is hardy, a toughie, and grows beautifully and lush, allowing for many cups of lemony herb tea during the warmer months.  I grow that too in a container, a large container, and the leaves are delightful on their own or even better if just a bit of lemon verbena is added.  Lemon verbena has the stronger lemon flavour of the two.







Lemon balm tea with a slice of lemon


Apple mint tea is also a wonderfully refreshing summer drink.