Search This Blog

Sunday 22 April 2018

TRANSPLANTING JAPANESE ACERS / MAPLES

For a few years I have had Acer palmatum dissectum Ornatum growing in a terracotta pot close to the east-facing house wall.  To me, it seemed the most sheltered place there is but it's not looking all that great after our harsh winter with heavy snow, subzero temperatures, and strong winds.  I've also just discovered that Japanese acers (Japanese maples) can suffer leaf damage if early morning sun shines on wet leaves.  Camellias are like that too.  So, I have transplanted it into the lower part of my south(ish) facing garden border where I hope it will be happier.  There it could get a few hours of sunshine in the morning (depending on the weather and the time of year) and, hopefully, be somewhat sheltered by the fence behind it from the wind which usually blows from north to south. Acers can tolerate sun as long as they are not short of water.  They are not the easiest of plants to please. 







Acer palmatum dissectum Ornatum among hostas and ferns - end May 2016


We've had several days of glorious sunshine. Now it's raining (it was thundering and lightning last night) but in a way I am happy about the rain because it's watering and putting nitrogen into the soil. 





I've transplanted Ornatum with the poorest side facing south.  After it had been against the house wall a few years, one side had become more lush than the other.  The trick now is to make sure it doesn't get dry roots.  With the weather we get here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, it's not very likely to happen.  It looks tiny in the border with its leaves just starting to open.  I don't want it to get too big anyway, and I may have to prune it at some point if it gets bigger than I want.  The idea is for it to give lower cover with the taller lilacs (Syringa Red Pixie and Syringa vulgaris 'Andenken an Ludwig Spath' behind. 




Acer palmatum dissectum Ornatum transplanted into south-facing border.







Acer palmatum dissectum Ornatum leaves





I also have two other Japanese maples, Phoenix and Katsuma, which I have just transplanted into slightly larger pots. 




Front: Acer palmatum Phoenix.  At the rear: Acer palmatum Katsura







Acer palmatum Katsura in May 2017