Search This Blog

Monday 23 April 2018

PLANTING BACOPA HANGING BASKETS

Although bacopa plants cannot tolerate frost, I have decided to plant up my yearly four hanging baskets early, and with nothing else but bacopa.  Bacopa comes in several types.  If the weather gets too cold or there is very heavy rainy, I shall just shelter them indoors until the weather changes. 




Hanging basket planted with bacopa

In the centre of each basket I have placed Double Ballerina Snowball which is described as compact, well branched with mounded growth habit, and abundant flowering of small fully double blooms.  It achieves a height of 14cm (6") x 20-25cm (8-10").




Around the edge I have placed two Gulliver Dynamic White with a height of 5-10cm (2-4"), trailing to 25cm (10").  It's described as compact, well branched, producing an abundance of large white flowers over small green foliage.  And also I have planted two Abunda Colossal White bacopas, which achieve a height of 5-10dm (2-4") and spread of 20-25cm (8-10")  They are described as having an abundance of bright flowers produced over rich, dark green leaves throughout the flowering season.




My hanging baskets achieve several hours of morning sun (if and when the sun actually gets through the clouds) and they seem to do well enough.  They all, as far as I know, tolerate full sun.  I had bacopa and petunia hanging baskets last year. 







Bacopa Double Ballerina hanging basket - 2017