Search This Blog

Saturday 21 April 2018

OBDAM DAFFODIL VS TETE A TETE

One of my favourite daffodils is Obdam.  The double creamy-white blooms are beautiful and they have a subtle fragrance too.  However, Obdam daffodils have heads so heavy that I find they need staking, which is not ideal.  The big fat buds stand tall on long stems (about 40cm) but when the flowers open the stems are inclined to bend sharply under the weight of them, and the flowers then face the ground.  Or, the stems will bow down to the ground with the flowers touching the soil.  Are they worth growing?  Yes.  But you will need to provide some support. 







Obdam daffodils

I was remiss in staking my Obdam daffodils this year and so decided to cut the flowers with stems quite short, and I placed them in a small vase.  They have lasted quite a few days.  Even looking at the flowers sideways on, they are lovely.




Obdam daffodils

Much as I love Obdam flowers, the low-growing Tete a Tete daffodils take some beating; in number they look glorious and I intend to have many clumps around my garden eventually.  They jolly up the garden in the early months of the year with their splashes of sunshiny yellow. 




Clump of Tete a Tete daffodils