Search This Blog

Friday 16 March 2018

SPRING FLOWERS BEFORE THE SNOW - MARCH 2018

I don't believe it.  Well, actually, I do.  We have a warning of snow heading our way, here on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, and this time we have an Amber Warning.  Oh, just great!  How many times have we had snow this year already?  One time too often, for sure.  I have my spade close to my kitchen door so that I can dig my way to the dustbin, and I have prepared some fat balls for the birds and filled their feeders on the bird-feeding station.  Spring flowers are just coming up nicely in the borders, grown from bulbs that I just stuck in the ground here and there.  They are lovely little surprises as, like a squirrel with its winter stash, I sometimes forget where I planted them.  Unfortunately, I don't know if heavy snow is going to wreck the poor flowers before they even get a chance to raise their lovely little heads to the sun.  What sun?  It's been Dracula weather for the last few days with grey sky and mist, and lots of rain.  Lots of rain. 




Tete-a-Tete daffodils, crocuses, and a solitary snowdrop - 16 March 2018

Enough already.  I want sun.  I want to sit in my garden room when it is above freezing and feel like I am in another world.  Or, at least in a country where sunshine is just about guaranteed.  I know that the sun is damaging to the skin but it also instills a sense of wellbeing.