Search This Blog

Sunday 18 March 2018

SNOW BEAST RETURNS FROM THE EAST - MID MARCH 2018

We're not going to get out of this winter lightly, here in the UK, are we?  Widespread snow has hit the UK since yesterday evening and even the soft southerners, in Kent and so on, are getting a good taste of what is called "the Beast from the East" as easterly winds (coming from the direction of the east) bring chaos to our roads.  As I plan on going nowhere, I am more worried about the wildlife and farm animals, like sheep.  I think it is lambing time now, isn't it?  I've taken some cute snaps of a visiting grey squirrel and will post them separately.  A friend in Kent sent me a message yesterday saying they are getting heavy snow.  It must come as a bit of a shock.  Here, up north, on the Pennines, we are made of stern stuff and take weather like this in our stride.  Mostly.




Snow again across the Pennines, March 17 and 18, 2018





Of course, it's often the drifts that cause chaos.  We've had about 3 or 4 inches of snow and I cleared a narrow trench along the garden path this morning.  Have to be able to get to the dustbin, etc.  I wanted to go and knock the snow off the bird feeders but there's a good chance I will slip and break my leg, hip, or even my neck, so I'm afraid the birds will have to knock it off themselves.  I think the squirrels will lend them a hand in that respect. 











No chance of sitting in a warm garden room today.  It's beautiful out there but cold, cold, cold.




Garden room cut off by the snow - it looks sugar-frosted








Virgin snow on a March Sunday - 18 March 2018