Search This Blog

Friday 2 March 2018

EVEN GREY SQUIRRELS NEED FOOD TOO

People, including friends, should never tell me how much they hate squirrels, or cats, or pets, or animals in general, because I don't want to hear it.  I shall only think that there is something most definitely not normal about them.  Snow is keeping me indoors and so, like a little old biddy, I am spending a fair amount of time watching out of the window, enjoying the feeding frenzy in my garden.  A squirrel arrived today and, bless it, for once was not allowing birds to bully it away.  




Squirrel filling its little white belly

You could say that the UK is under the weather at the moment.  Winter snow, wind, and freezing temperatures is causing treacherous conditions on the roads.  While here, on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, or at least in my neighbourhood, there has been no snow today but there are icicles over 1 inches long hanging from gutters, the ground is rock solid, and we have forecast of snow for tomorrow.  sigh.  I've cooked a big pan of chicken stew, rich with red wine, so I won't starve.  And neither will the birds or squirrels if I have anything to do with it. 




Squirrel feasts while blackbird awaits its turn






Squirrel tipping the dish full of bird/squirrel seed






Squirrel getting stuck in