Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 November 2017

ROSE 'JUST JOEY' & APRICOT ROSE FROM M&S

I like to buy cut flowers, roses in particular, rather than cut them in my garden.  Left growing on the plant they seem to last so much longer and right now, mid November, Wild Eve is still showing off a little on my north-facing garden fence.  So, today, while mooching around Marks and Spencers, I saw and bought a lovely bunch of 15 apricot-coloured roses.  They look really beautiful in my living room and enough for two vases. 




Apricot rose from Marks and Spencers

Although I've grown a lot of different roses in my time (not so much nowadays) I cannot recall ever growing an apricot colour.  The nearest I got to that was Just Joey, a hybrid tea rose.




old photo of Just Joey, a hybrid tea rose




I believe Just Joey was named after the wife of the Managing Director of Cants of Colchester, Joey Pawsey.  I can still remember the lovely fragrance that Just Joey had even though I have not grown it for more than 20 years.  Just Joey is highly recommended on the David Austin Roses website, and also has the RHS Award of Garden Merit.  It was the World's Favourite rose 1994 (which would have been about the time I grew it).  It was registered in 1972.  Just so you know.