Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 November 2017

BUDDLEIA DAVIDII 'NANHO BLUE' SILVER LEAVES

Although it's been a while since I last had a flower on my garden's buddleias (I grow Buddleia Davidii Nanho Blue and Buddleia Davidii Empire Blue), the Nanho Blue has some beautiful silver and quite hairy leaves on the tips of its branches.  I wonder if they will last throughout winter as the shrub's large green leaves are being shed.  It looks really pretty but, alas, the shrub will need pruning in spring to stop it getting over large and keep it in shape.  Right now it is in a container but I think I ought to find a way to plant it in the garden next year.




Buddleia Davidii 'Nanho Blue' silver leaves

Buddleias can tolerate hard pruning and it just encourages them to make more flowers.  Davidii flower on present year's growth, hence spring pruning. 




My Empire Blue does not have these silvery leaves.








Buddleia Davidii Empire Blue