Search This Blog

Saturday 25 November 2017

SNOW IN WEST YORKSHIRE NOVEMBER 2017

It's November 25, 2017 and for anyone who might think that snow has come quite early this year I can tell you that not only did snow arrive on the Pennines of West Yorkshire on 9 November 2016, but a large amount of snow descended around 18 November 2016 too.  I got quite a surprise when I looked out of my window yesterday evening, into the darkness, and thought I was imagining the white stuff reflected back at me in the light from the kitchen window. 








My snowy West Yorkshire garden - November 25, 2017

Above, in my unheated garden room, the temperature has dropped to 2.2 degrees.  However, the lower thermometer reading shows that so far the temperature within has not dropped to, or below, freezing.  I have my pelargoniums, the Jade Plant (Crassula Ovata), and my little bay tree (Laurus Nobilis) in there (for now) but they are covered with garden fleece.  It's all very experimental and I am hoping that no harm with come to those plants.  I really don't have space for them all in my home, along with all the house plants. 





Note how the concrete stepping stones have no covering of snow.  I assume that is because they have retained some heat from yesterday's sunshine.  Oh yes, we had sunshine yesterday and I sat in my garden room when it achieved a glorious tropical 15 (yes, fifteen) degrees celsius!  It was a lot warmer than outside, I can tell you.





In my garden the David Austin rose, Wild Eve, is still producing flowers and many of the penstemons are in flower too.  I wonder if, or how, they will survive being covered in snow. 








Penstemons sugared with snow - November 25, 2017

After severe winds and heavy rain, we have experienced lately, we now have snow and the internet forecasts predicting a harsh winter may well come true—or not. I didn't see any mention of snow expected in West Yorkshire when I checked the Met Office forecast of yesterday, so if they cannot predict it the day before, I cannot see how weather forecasting can be expected to do so weeks or months in advance.  It's a tricky business forecasting weather.  As someone once said, "the best way to check the weather is to stick your head out of the window". 










Snow in West Yorkshire, 18 November 2016