Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 July 2015

PENSTEMON 'PENSHAM LAURA'

Although my relatively small garden is rather packed with plants and flowers, and they are all jostling for space, I always seem to go and buy another and I always seem to find the space.  Some plants come and go over winter, never to be seen again, but there are others which are survivors.  I thought that the Penstemons were supposed to be on the tender side but the ones I grow have not only survived but thrived.  The other day I bought another one which caught my eye some time ago:  Pensham Laura.  What a beauty it is.  It's not yet planted and will remain in its pot while I deliberate as to where I might be able to squeeze it in.






Penstemon 'Pensham Laura'

pretty pink and white flowers so attractive to bees

 


"The label says that Penstemon 'Pensham Laura' is a reliable and colourful perennial of upright habit with attractive rich-green, lance-shaped leaves.  Bell-shaped rosy-lilac flowers with clear white throats hang from tall strong spikes produced continually throughout the summer.  It is an ideal cottage garden plant for beds, borders, and informal planting. 


 


It likes any good well-drained soil in full sun or partial shade.  It achieves a flowering heigh of 90cm (3ft) and a foliage spread of 60cm (2ft).  Cut back faded flower stems and tidy foli8age in early spring.  No support is needed.  Water thoroughly before and after planting and regularly in first season.  Apply general fertiliser annually. 


 


It is good with lupins or short delphiniums to maintain the effect through summer into autumn."


 




Penstemon 'Pensham Laura'

pretty pink and white flowers so attractive to bees


 




Penstemon Pensham Laura