Search This Blog

Sunday 26 July 2015

DRYOPTERIS FILIX-MAS EUXINENSIS REPRODUCTION

My Dryopteris filix-mas 'Euxinensis' is at it again.  It's a wonderful fern and now stands about 2ft high in its terracotta pot.  It's always bright and healthy, and tolerates partial shade very well.  I also understand that it can tolerate being on the dry side from time to time.  Mine is in a place where it gets sunshine in the morning for an hour or three (depending on the time of year).  Each year it produces fascinating sporangia on the underside of the fronds.  At least, fascinating under the scrutiny of my macro lens.  I do wish I could get total clarity (focus) but considering each sporangium is about 1mm in diameter, I don't think the images have come out too badly.  The black spores look like Beluga caviar. 






Dryopteris filix-mas 'Euxinensis'

sporangia (2) with black spores showing






Dryopteris filix-mas 'Euxinensis'

sporangia ready to burst with black spores showing




 



The fascinating sex life of ferns (internal link)