Search This Blog

Friday 31 July 2015

HYDRANGEA PANICULATA 'WHITE LADY'

Earlier this year I removed a honeysuckle, Lonicera serotina, from my north-facing fence.  I had planted it in 2014 and it was showing signs of being very strong, rampant.  For the position in which it was planted, I didn't really want something that might get out of hand, and it had no sign of flowers buds, so the other day I dug it up while it was still relatively young and easy to remove.  I have no mercy with plants in my garden.  If they don't do what I want them to, well, it's off with their heads and out they go!   I have decided, in its place, to grow Hydrangea paniculata 'White Lady' which I bought today.  It's a shrub, not a climber, and one that I have had my eye on for quite a few years.  I like the way the flowers are shaped and that they are great for cutting.






Hydrangea paniculata 'White Lady' 29 August 2015








Hydrangea paniculata 'White Lady' 31 July 2015

The only concern I have about hydrangea paniculata 'White Lady' is that it's not happy in cold winds.  My garden is windy, but I have been lucky before with plants and I may well be again.  What I do have for it is a position that has partial shade and where the ground is on the damp side (being on the lower part of a slope).  Fingers crossed.



Apparently, (the label says very little so I researched on the internet), it tolerates sun or partial shade, likes acid to neutral soil, and is hardy and deciduous.  It flowers in summer through to autumn and achieves a height of 400cm and a spread of 250cm. 



Prune hydrangea paniculata 'White Lady' hard back in early spring, a few buds above the woody part of the plant.  This will encourage it to flower. 



It has received the Royal Horticultural Society Award of Garden Merit. 



When the flowers have opened, I shall post another image here but, for now, I think it looks quite beautiful as it is.