Search This Blog

Sunday 14 June 2015

GIVE WILD BIRDS WATER TO DRINK

Although many people are anxious to give wild birds food for fear that they might not survive otherwise, many forget that they also must drink, all year round.  I don't have a fancy bird-bath in my garden for them to clean and preen their feathers (I live not far from a natural supply of water) but I do give them fresh, clean water to drink if they want it.  The water must be changed very often and the container cleaned thoroughly to help prevent disease throughout the bird communities.  It's a bit pointless feeding them and giving them water, only to assist them in contracting diseases from one another.  It's all worth it as it's such a pleasure to see them visit my garden.  They're very welcome.






Collared Dove ready for a drink of water



The other day I moved my bird feeding station to closer to the fence and trees, only by about 6ft, and it may be a coincidence but it seems like the birds are flocking in.  This is going to cost me in bird feed!  :)  It is a good idea to move bird feeders to different positions from time to time in order, once again, for hygiene reasons.  They do tend to create a mess immediately below the feeders. 



It's interesting watching the Collared Doves having a drink.  Of course, they are bigger birds and so I can see them in more detail.  After checking out their surroundings, they will put their beaks in the water for a second or two and suck up the water like horses do. 






Collared Dove having a drink - you can just see its beak

I took these photo while sitting on the garden swing.  The bird was not too far away and I'm happy to see the detail on the bird's feet.  I think it looks in need of a little hand moisturiser. 






Collared Dove checking surroundings before descending for a drink


Birds and water - RSPB link


 


How birds drink - Stanford Edu link