Search This Blog

Saturday 13 June 2015

BERBERIS THUNBERGII 'MARIA'

Oh, how I wished yesterday, when mooching around a garden centre, that I had room for this fabulous shrub in my garden: Berberis thunbergii 'Maria'.  It certainly has the wow factor but there is absolutely no place in my crowded garden for it to grow—at the moment.  I'm also not sure if something quite so dazzlingly bright would have a negative impact on the over all look that I want to achieve.  I want my garden to be a restful place with soft colours and the occasional, more transient, dashes of vibrant colour here and there. 








Berberis thunbergii 'Maria'



The Royal Horticultural Society website says that berberis thunbergii 'Maria' is deciduous and upright, and is hardy to H7.  It provides colour in the garden through spring to autumn with pale yellow flowers in spring.  It prefers full sun or partial-shade, and an aspect that is north, west, or east facing.  It is suitable for exposed or sheltered situations and likes moist but well-drained sand, chalk, clay or loam soil which is acid, alkaline or neutral.  It achieves a height of 1 to 1.5 metres and a spread of 0.5 to 1 metre, reaching maturity in 5 to 10 years.   It can cause stomach upset if consumed.  It can be pruned mid to late spring. 



Plant Hardiness rating (internal link)






Berberis thunbergii 'Maria'