Search This Blog

Friday 12 June 2015

PAPAVER NUDICAULE 'GARDEN GNOME' - ICELAND POPPY

I was mooching at a garden centre today, actually looking for those little plant pot stands with wheels, when I just happened to pass by a stand of glorious poppies.  Now, I've loved poppies since I was a child, ever since I went on family outings in summer and saw the red field poppies as we drove along the roads to wherever.  The poppies I saw today were Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome', a type of Iceland Poppy, and what is better still, they are perennials. 






Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' - Iceland Poppy



I bought three pots of them although I know that there are likely to be mixed colours in the pot.  I chose orange, yellow, red, and white.  I've put them all in a single tub so that I can move them around the garden.  I'm afraid my container plants never know where they are going to end up next - hence buying the pot stands with wheels!






Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' -  Iceland Poppy



The label says that Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' is a tuft-forming perennial wiith soft green leaves giving rise to hair stems producing large single flower.  They grow in a variety of colours.  The flowering period is early to late summer.  It achieves a height of 30cm (12") and spread of 20cm (8").  It likes full sun or partial shade in any moist but well-drained soil. 



The planting instructions are: Water pot, leave to drain.  Prepare hole large enough to avoid damage to roots, dig moist compost and fertiliser into the planting hole.  Remove plant from container and position plant so that it is 15mm (1/2") below the final soil level.  Fill with soil mixture, firm in, and water well.  Water regularly in the first year until plant is well established.  Feed by top dressing in spring with general fertiliser.  Dead-head after flowers fade. 






Simply red - a Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' - Iceland Poppy

I suspected, as soon as I saw these poppies, that the bees and other pollinators would absolutely adore them.  It didn't take long for confirmation.  Within minutes of my planting these poppies in the tub the insects were arriving.  I managed to get images of a bee absolutely rolling in the pollen.  How lovely!






Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' - Iceland Poppy

and a visitor bee









Papaver nudicaule 'Garden Gnome' - Iceland Poppy

and visitor bee