Search This Blog

Wednesday 21 January 2015

SNOWY DAY AND HUNGRY BIRDS


If I had hoped that the snow would melt away before today, I was hoping in vain.  We have had, and are having, more snowfall here on the Pennine Mountains, about 875 feet above sea level.  It's about six inches deep in my garden already.  And more is forecast as on the way.  Oh, great!  It's hardly blocking the doors and chimney, I know, but I do feel sorry for the birds.  At great risk to life and limb I went out to clear the snow off the bird feeders (ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny little bit but I was virtually swinging off the washing line as I tried to keep on my feet) and to place a dish of water on the feeding station.  I know it is likely to freeze over eventually.




Great Tit on a snowy day

A robin has been visiting my garden regularly since the snow came, as well as a number of other birds, particularly thrushes.  The thrushes like the home made fat balls, of which I have none.  So, that's a job for me to do.  They've not been as keen on the rice balls.  I don't think that now is a time for them to get so picky, do you?  I've got enough with having a picky Ragdoll cat, Alfie!  I wonder if he'll eat rice balls!






Great Tit on a snowy day




Bird chilling out on a snowy day