Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 January 2015

SNOW AND WIND AGAIN

Although I have no doubt that many places elsewhere are suffering far more severe weather than here, high up on the Pennines of West Yorkshire, this is the third time this year that snow has been forecast.  It was only last week when a road-gritting lorry couldn't make it around the estate where I live and I watched it reversing back down the road.  My question is, how is it that weather forecasters manage to forecast bad weather with such accuracy but not so much with good weather?   While the snow is on its way, the wind has been busy causing damage. 








Bird feeding station


I came home today to find that the metal centre pole of the bird-feeding station has snapped in two.  The feeders were lying on the ground, seed spilled in all direction.  No doubt the birds will be happy to clear it up.  I've seen a little red-breasted Robin tucking in already.  I love the birds visiting my garden.  Last week, in the morning, I found evidence of a visiting bird coming very close to my kitchen door. 


 




Bird feet impressions in the snow


 


In fairness to the manufacturer of the bird feeding station, it is extremely windy, has been extremely windy for extended periods many times since buying it, and I did have rather a lot of weight on it with several large feeders rather than the little ones that came with it.  It's my fault, and the wind's, that it broke.  Clearly the metal pole had stress fatigue.  I've been that way myself a few times.   For now, I have hung a bird feeder on the washing line.