Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 July 2014

LUCILIA ILLUSTRIS SERICATA - GREEN BOTTLE - IN THE GARDEN

Flies are never welcome in my home, especially after watching the rather nauseating movie The Fly (1986) starring Jeff Goldblum, many years ago.  Since then I've liked them even less landing on my kitchen work surfaces or anywhere else for that matter.  However, it was not until I took a macro photograph of one of them in my garden yesterday that I realised just how beautiful the colours of the Green Bottle (Lucilia illustris sericata) are.  One landed on a dead rose while I was taking photographs of flowers. 






Green Bottle on a dead rose



As long as these beautiful but disease carrying flies remain in my garden, they are safe from me, but I cannot guarantee their safety from the spiders. 



An article about the health hazards of Blue and Green Bottles (external link).