Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 July 2014

BUSY INSECTS IN THE GARDEN

We've had a lot of hot, sunny weather lately but today is a bit overcast and fair old breeze.  Even so, I managed to get a fairly decent photograph of a small hoverfly that was enjoying the contents of a white bacopa flower growing in a basket on the back of my house.






Hoverfly in white bacopa flower - Macro



The wind is very drying and there's still no rain after days of dryness, so I've been out and done some watering of the containers, and dead-heading of various flowers, and when I noticed that a new web had been created between the hanging basket and the potted ivy plant on the garden table below, I thought that Arry Arachnid, the female Araneus diadematus, was back in place.  But, I was wrong.  The web belongs to a new male Araneus diadematus (not Henry), let's call him Ernest, and when a greenfly landed on the web, Ernest came shooting down but I think he was trying to bite off a bit more than he could chew.  I read in an article that females are able to eat their own body size and I saw how much Arry shoved down her throat in one day, but males can't, apparently.  They probably prefer a drink down the pub!






Male Araneus diadematus and greenfly - Macro

Although the Malva moschata 'Rosea' plant was buzzing with bumblebees and honeybees, and one bumblebee in particular was kicking up a pollen storm, some bumblebees found it all too much and I caught one sleeping on a Polka raspberry leaf and another one buried up to its back end inside a Champagne Moment flower. 






Bumblebee on Malva moschata 'Rosea' - Macro








Bumblee dozing on Polka raspberry leaf - Macro