Search This Blog

Sunday 8 June 2014

GERANIUM SANGUINEUM 'MAX FREI'

What a vibrant coloured flower this Geranium Sanguineum 'Max Frei' has.  I've got a shady side to my garden - not deep shade, just partial shade - and I widened it by about 30cm (12in) this spring.  Where I widened it I need to put in plants and this type of geranium is just perfect for the job.  It's got lovely little leaves too.  It achieves a height of about 20cm (8in) and a spread of 40cm (16in) and needs a fertile soil.  It's fully hardy perennial it regrows from ground level every year and flowers from June to August. 




Geranium sanguineum 'Max Frei' - 6 July 2017











The flowers are such a vibrant pink that my camera made the colours seem blue.  So, I've replaced the 2014 image with a photograph taken on 6 July 2017.




You can extend the growing season by stopping the plant from making seed.  Just dead head the spent flowers.  If the plant gets out of shade you can lightly trim it in summer and in spring the plant can be propagated by lifting and dividing the clump.