Search This Blog

Monday 9 June 2014

FILLING UP THE HARDY PERENNIAL BORDER

I thought that today was going to be another sunny day like yesterday and while I was hoping to lounge on my garden swing with a good book, after a too busy day yesterday, the rain and thunder has put an end to that plan.  At least the thunder and rain has put nitrogen into the soil and given the newly planted clematis (Dr Ruppel and Elsa Spath), the 'Clotted Cream' jasmine (which I decided to remove from a pot it was growing it in), and several hardy perennials, another watering.  It has rained a lot lately.  I mean, a lot!  But, wait for it, the sun's coming out again.  I wish it would make its mind up.






Newly planted hardy perennial border

You'll note that there is a lot of bare soil showing at the moment but the plants are still young and before long they will have spread out, joined together, and covered the soil, thus supressing weeds.  Usually it is advisable to plant in groups of three of a kind but I'm not going to the great expense of being three of each plant.  I shall propagate my own in time.  Also, gardeners might note that the planting space is a little close but I work on the principle that not all of the plants will survive and that I can move things around in autumn when I know what's what. 










One recently planted plant which has two lovely flowers and buds almost ready to open, is the beautiful 'Doris', a wonderfully scented dianthus.  It has silvery-blue leaves and the flowers open on long, elegant stems.  I've grown it once before, without success, and realise my mistake.  It's all about location...  You have to remember that most, if not all, silver leafed plants like sunshine and well-drained soil, not too moist.  They don't generally need a rich soil either.  At the time that I lost my first 'Doris' it was growing in a part of the border where the soil is less well-drained and rich with compost.  At that time, I transplanted a white dianthus called Mrs Sinkins, which was struggling to survive, to the top of my garden where the soil is dryer and not so rich.  Mrs Sinkins has now happily spread so much that I was able to take bits off it (actually, I just hacked bits off it, trying to keep some roots on the bits that I severed) this past spring and planted them elsewhere where the soil is also not so rich.  Those hacked off pieces have already formed roots and are making buds.








Sweet smelling dianthus 'Doris'










Dianthus 'Mrs Sinkins'






Mrs Sinkins - photoshopped



While I was mooching around my small garden, looking for things to photograph and share here, I noticed that something was coming through the trellis at the top of my fence adjoining a neighbouring, neglected plot of land full of shrubs and trees and God knows what. It looks like a blackberry, which is great.  I can have the benefit now of my loganberries, raspberries, strawberries (hopefully, they were rubbish last year) and now blackberries without having to sacrifice any space.  Just as long as they don't try to get under the fence, I shall be happy.