Search This Blog

Sunday 15 June 2014

CAMPANULA PERSICIFOLIA: TELHAM BEAUTY

I have loved the Campanula family of plants for many, many years and have, naturally, added quite a few to my newly planted hardy perennial borders.  I have found them, always, quite easy to grow.  At the moment Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty' stands proudly in the midst of my other perennials .  One nice thing that I have found about this tall 'bellflower' (campana is the Latin word for 'bell'), so far, is that it doesn't have to be put at the back of the border because the leaves aren't throwing surrounding plants into deep shade.  My Telham Beauty is just a couple of feet back from the edge of the border. 






Campanula persicifolia  'Telham Beauty'


This is the description on the label:  Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty' is a hardy plant with upright stems of large, light blue, cup-shaped blooms from May to July.  It regrows from ground level every year.  It has a height of 90cm (36in) and spread of 90cm (36in).  It likes full sun or partial shade in a fertile and moist soil.  It is not suitable in acid soils.  Cut back after flowering to prevent self-seeding [if you don't want it to self-seed] and to encourage a second flush of flowers.  Improved flowering occurs from a monthly feed during the growing season. 


 


The reading of the PH level of my soil, right where the campula is growing, is 6.  I use the Gardman Moisture and PH level meter to read it. 






Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty'








Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty'