Search This Blog

Sunday 15 June 2014

CAMPANULA PULLA 'BLUE'

When I was at the garden centre the other day, the whole idea of going was so a friend could buy a couple of terracotta pots.  I wanted nothing.  Then I spotted this little bellflower: Campanula pulla 'Blue'.  I had to have it.  In fact, I came out of the garden centre with a trolley load of plants but that's digressing.  The simple, vibrant violet-blue bell-shaped flowers of this alpine plant were so lovely that it wasn't a surprise to me that I seemed to have bought the very last one on display.  This campanula isn't tall like the Campanula persicifolia 'Telham Beauty' that I mentioned in my previous post.  It's a relatively short alpine with a very different growing habit.  It spreads, which is lovely, so I gave it pride of place in its own shallow terracotta pot, in a grit and compost growing medium, topped by a protective layer of slug-hating grit.



The flowers are actually more violet-blue than they appear in the below images.






Campanula pulla 'Blue'




Campanula pulla 'Blue' (little out of focus, sorry)

The label describes Campanula pulla 'Blue' as a low, spreading alpine producing an abundance of vivid, violet blue bell-shaped flowers above bright green foliage.  Its suitable for rockeries, borders, walls, banks, paving, gravel gardens, containers and pots.  It flowers in summer.  Achieves a height of 20cm (8in) and spread of 50cm (20in).  It requires full sun in moist but well-drained soil.