Search This Blog

Sunday 15 June 2014

PATIO POT CARNATIONS - DIANTHUS

Although I like my new hardy perennial border, it's a little low on colour just now and so I have been buying various plants to brighten things up meanwhile on the patio.  While at the garden centre, my attention was caught by the health and colour of 'pot carnations'.  I've always called them pinks, or dianthus.  Anyway, I bought three and the colour is so vibrant, it played havoc with the lens on my mobile phone camera.  It was difficult to get them in focus.  Apparently they don't like water on their petals and that shows in some of the photographs.  Tough, because its been raining today and I don't want them indoors.  I've a feeling they'll survive if the sun comes out before too long. 


















They are best, apparently, treated as annuals.  The leaves, stems and buds are very sturdy and the silveriness of the leaves tells me that they like sun and very good drainage.