Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 May 2014

SYRINGA (LILAC) 'RED PIXIE'

I discovered Syringa (lilac) 'Red Pixie' for the first time when I was mooching around a garden centre yesterday.  It was a funny coincidence really because I had been jealously admiring a giant lilac bush which is growing in a neighbouring garden and is groaning with mauve flowers.  It must be 10ft tall, at least.  The fragrance from it is phenomenal when the wind is blowing the right way but my neighbour's plant is far too big for the likes of my garden as I want space for other things.  Then I found 'Red Pixie'.  The fragrance of this lilac, which has a height and spread of about 180cm x 250 cm (6ft x 8ft), packs a punch and it was nearly knocking my head off when I had it enclosed in my car as I drove home from the garden centre. 

Syringa (lilac) 'Red Pixie'

I am planning on growing it against the south-facing fence where the roses used to be and I also plan to keep it in shape train it (by tying in and pruning) against the fence rather than give it free rein. 

Syringa (lilac) 'Red Pixie'

It has such delicate branches and pretty, oval-shaped leaves.  The label says that it is very free-flowering (which you can see by the photograph of my new, young Syringa 'Red Pixie' above) and is ideal for the smaller garden.  It is 'deliciously' fragrant, a dark garnet-red opening pink during May and June.  It needs a good, well-drained soil (including chalk) and prefers an open sunny site.