Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 May 2014

HESPERIS MATRONALIS or SWEET ROCKET or DAME'S VIOLET

Hesperis matronalis, also known as Sweet Rocket or Dame's Violet among many other common names, is another addition to my garden.  At the moment, it's in full bloom, standing tall on strong stems and looking rather lonely as I only bought one plant.  It has a sweet fragrance, which is more pronounced in the evening. 






Hesperis matronalis a.k.a. Sweet Rocket or Dame's Violet



I thought I might propagate my solitary Hesperis matronalis but apparently this pretty, upright plant (which is considered invasive and it is illegal to sell it in some places in the USA) needs no help from me.  Apparently it self-seeds all over the place.  Still, I figure if I can cope with moss, clover, Chamerion angustifolium (also called Fireweed and Rosebay willowherb), dandelions, sunflowers and grasses germinating all over the place thanks to the birds, and the overhanging neighbour's ash trees which rain down millions of seeds every year onto everything in my garden, then I can cope with a friendly 'invader' with a pretty flower and which smells and looks great.  I can always chop it's head off before it sets seed as I believe it is also useful as a cut flower. 






Hesperis matronalis a.k.a. Sweet Rocket or Dame's Violet

The label that came with it does warn me in a subtle kind of way: ideal in a wildlife garden setting.  Obviously, Hesperis matronalis is a survivor and if you have an area of garden where you don't seem to be able to get anything to grow, you could try scattering some Hesperis matronalis seeds over it.  The label says that Hesperis matronalis is suitable for borders and wild gardens, in sun or partial shade, on humus-rich but well-drained soil.  It flowers late spring to early summer and achieves a height and spread of approximately 60cm (24in)






Hesperis matronalis a.k.a. Sweet Rocket or Dame's Violet

standing tall in the sunshine


I think it's quite beautiful and I love the perfume.  Furthermore, it attracts bees.  We gardeners must look after bees.