Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 May 2014

HOSTA 'PATRIOT' - GROWING HOSTAS IN A POT OR OTHER CONTAINER

I cannot say that my love of hostas is new.  It's more a case that my love of hostas has been revived with my idea, perhaps not very innovative, of growing them as specimen plants in containers.  Many years ago I grew them in a damp, shady border in a big garden and it was a battle fighting off the slugs to keep them looking beautiful.  There is nothing lovely about a hosta that has been neglected by a gardener but had much attention paid to it by slugs and snails.  They end up leaves riddled with holes.   I've planted two hostas recently (Brimcup and Gold Edger) in big terracotta Yorkshire Flowerpots by Naylor .  The lovely thing about container growing is that you can easily just move things around (weight permitting) if a plant is not happy in its present position.  The third hosta that I have added to my small collection is Patriot.  It's quite magnificent. 






Hosta 'Patriot'




Hosta 'Patriot'



The label says that Hosta 'Patriot' is a vigorous clump-forming hardy perennial with attractively puckered, olive-green, heart-shaped leaves, irregularly margined white.  It has upright spikes of lavender-blue, funnel-shaped flowers which appear in summer.  It requires good, moist but well-drained soil, in part or light shade.  Size 50cm x 1m (20in x 36in).  In a container, I put a layer of grit around the hosta.  Seems slugs don't like their bellies scratched!






My previous garden (1983-1995) with hostas round the lawn.