Search This Blog

Thursday 1 May 2014

LAWN REJUVENATION - 2014

I admit I restore my lawn, as best I can, the laziest way I can.  It's on a slope with not much soil underneath the grass, an inch or two.  Under that is a lot of sandstone rock as if someone at some time knocked down a dry stone wall, skimmed earth over it, and that was that.  After last winter there was quite a lot of moss growing on my lawn which had never been a problem before.  The solution is to aerate the lawn and improve drainage by spiking it with a fork or a special machine but I cannot dig a fork in more than an inch or two.  So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, on 1 April 2014 I sprinkled my lawn with Evergreen Complete 4 in 1 which got rid of any weeds (there were hardly any) and blackened the moss.  A few days ago, I raked out as much moss as I could with a spring-tined rake and noticed that there were a lot of small bald patches of soil where the moss had died and been raked out.  So, today, 1 May 2014, I have sprinkled lawn seed (Evergreen Multipurpose Grass Seed) all over my lawn, paying particular attention to the areas with the bald patches.  Lazily, I didn't bother raking it in as it is raining today and the rain will do the job, I think.  Told you this was a lazy way.  We shall see.  I want my lawn to look like this again, as good as in 2011. 






My lawn July 2011

My garden was very busy back then.  I hope it looks as good this year, now I have changed it dramatically to decrease the workload.