Search This Blog

Thursday 8 May 2014

ACER PALMATUM 'ORANGE DREAM'

I just couldn't help myself when I saw the prettiest, brightest green, Japanese Maple in a store yesterday.  It begged to come home with me.  Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'.  It's quite ridiculous of me to keep buying wind intolerant Japanese maples seeing as how it is so terribly windy where I live but along the road there is a house with twin Japanese maples outside on either side of the house door, tall and beautiful with dark red palmate leaves, and they are perfection itself.  So if they can thrive unscathed, why shouldn't mine?   Orange Dream is bright green at the moment but the name promises rich golden leaves later on in autumn.






Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'

Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream' has the same growing requirements as other Japanese maples and I came across a good website that gives great detail for the growing of them: Tips for growing Japanese Maples (external link).  Ignore the bit where it says you should not plant these Acers in terracotta pots because they crack with frost in winter.  You can grow in terracotta as long as the pots are frost hardy or not exposed to frost (such as in warmer climates).  The ones I buy are Yorkshire Pots from Naylors (internal link).









Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'






Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'